August 4, 2010

Quit It!

horses We have a new development in our home. It started just a couple of days ago. Honestly, I’m not sure if this is progress or not, but it is definitely new: Moe cannot stand Jelly. Doesn’t want anything to do with her. Passionately.

Yesterday, Moe was having a pretty colossal meltdown. I had no idea why, but I took him over to the couch, put a lap pad on him and sat and cuddled with him for a few minutes. He started to settle. Just then, as she does any time I’m paying attention to someone or something that isn’t her, Jelly came speed-crawling over to us. She stood up and cruised over to me. As she got closer, Moe got more and more upset. Soon, she was touching me and Moe lost it. First, he pushed her away, which clearly I couldn’t allow, so I had to tell him “no!” This, of course, only upset him more.

Then, in the sweetest, most heartbreaking brother-sister scene in our house to date, she offered him the cracker she was munching on. He freaked out even more because she dared to get even closer to him, and attempted to kick her, which I blocked. Again, I had to reprimand him with a “no kicking.” I felt bad, knowing that Moe just needed some Mommy time, but obviously, hitting is not okay.

At closing circle at school today, Moe was in my lap. Jelly was next to me on the floor, but of course wanted in my lap too. Moe was not happy about this, tried pushing her away, and could not get out of there fast enough.

We got home from school and the kids were playing (separately, of course). I made them both grilled cheese sandwiches and got them to the table for lunch. I put Jelly in her high chair first, then got Moe. He wanted nothing to do with lunch, left the table kicking and screaming, and ran to his room. I can’t be sure but I think he didn’t want to eat because Jelly was also there. Although I don’t plan on making this a habit, I let him work it out himself in his room. Some time later, after Jelly was finished and playing in the living room, Moe came back over to the table and sat down to eat. Again, Jelly came over, pushing her toy shopping cart, and offered Moe his favorite toy Monkey. This time, I made a big deal of it: “Oh look! Jelly is giving Moe his monkey. How nice!” Then I handed Moe the monkey, which he took.

When Jelly first came to the house, Moe completely ignored her. He would occasionally push her in her swing, but that was just because he liked pushing the swing. The last few months, the two have peacefully coexisted. Moe would play with toys, Jelly would steal them, and Moe would passively walk away. But this active resistance to her presence is something entirely new. That said, I’ve also noticed Moe imitating Jelly a few times. I’ve always hoped having her typical brain around would be a good influence on Moe, or at least provide some competition. It is going to be interesting to see how this continues to develop.

1 comment:

I love comments! Respectful disagreement always encouraged.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails